Sunday, October 14, 2007

Madonna in a Bottle

The recently publicized $120 million deal in the making between Madonna and Live Nation is making major headlines. The decade long, lucrative deal would include the rights to sell three studio albums, promote Madonna's concerts, and sell licensing name rights and merchandise - which could include a fragrance.

In an already over-saturated celebrity fragrance market, Madonna's scent would have to be bold and the marketing concept behind it would have to be something no one has done before. (Have you seen the awful P. Diddy ad for his "Unforgiveable" fragrance for women?)

Gwen Stefani's recently launched fragrance, L for her clothing line L.A.M.B seems to be doing tremendously well, especially due to her hot ad campaign.

Interestingly enough, Madonna was reportedly shopping around a fragrance concept called "Holy Water" about a decade ago. Let's just hope if Madonna does do a fragrance, that she comes up with a better name this time round.

Update: It's confirmed! Madge is leaving Warner Brothers Records. In a press release, Madonna issued the following statement:

“The paradigm in the music business has shifted and as an artist and a business woman, I have to move with that shift. For the first time in my career, the way that my music can reach my fans is unlimited. I’ve never wanted to think in a limited way and with this new partnership, the possibilities are endless. Who knows how my albums will be distributed in the future? That’s what’s exciting about this deal — everything is possible. Live Nation has offered me a true partnership and after 25 years in the business, I feel that I deserve that.”

“My time with Warner Bros. Records has been great. I appreciate their hard work and value the many relationships I have developed over the years with the label in the U.S. and around the world. I have an album coming out with them next year and I’m excited about it. We still have work to do together.”

No comments: